By earning the Content Strategy Certificate, you’ll gain foundational analytical skills related to content strategy to increase engagement and improve effectiveness. You’ll also:
- Build core marketing skills and apply them to strategic content development.
- Learn how engaging content translates across various media platforms for diverse audiences.
- Connect data analytics to message performance and audience engagement.
- Earn valuable certifications in Hubspot and Hootsuite, which are built into the program.
- Approach marketing from a human-centered, holistic perspective at a creative, socially conscious college.
and Flexible Format
and Engaged Community
Content Strategy Curriculum
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended
- Degree evaluations are required for all applicants who completed their degree outside of the U.S.
- Essay (2 pages, double spaced, 500 words)
- Discuss your short- and long-term professional goals in the areas of digital marketing, data analytics and/or brand storytelling. Elaborate on how a specialization area in the program and an Emerson education will help achieve your goals. Discuss any relevant work and educational experiences and how you would contribute to the program and the profession.
In addition to an essay and resume, international applicants must also furnish:
- Course-by-course evaluation, GPA equivalency performed by
- World Education Services
- Educational Credential Evaluators
- National Association of Credential Evaluation Services
- English language proficiency test results are required for applicants whose native language is not English.
- TOEFL: 95-115
- IELTS: 6.5-7.5
- Duolingo: 115-135
- Pearson: 65-80
Human-Centric Marketing and Social Responsibility
Students are also required to select one course from the Digital Marketing core program.
Fundamentals in Content Strategy
Explore how society’s relationships with and expectations of brands are shaped by sociocultural, technological, and other factors. Leverage insights to develop and support holistic market strategies that are infused with diverse, human-centric, purpose-driven, and socially responsible innovation. (4 credits)
Storytelling with Vision, Mission, and Values
Content strategy is about developing content as a business asset and using it to achieve specific business goals. This course is designed to help you plan and execute an effective content strategy to build an audience. It will be conducted as a dynamic live project, where you will work alone and in groups to get experience in all the facets of content strategy. You’ll devise a strategy, set goals, create a project plan, and conduct basic research to test your assumptions. You will create, publish, and propagate regular content to meet the needs of the audience you define. You will learn how to organize and optimize your content for maximum impact and how to set metrics, measure your results, and iterate. (4 credits)
Learn to use story to increase the impact of your communication and ability to engage, influence, persuade, and inspire others. This course explores the art and science of a compelling story, how stories convey a vision and motivate actions, create meaning and build culture, inspire buy-in, trust and belief, construct brand identity, attract investors and customers, and contribute to advancing one’s career. Through case studies and structured learning activities, students develop capacity to communicate appropriately in varied situational and cultural contexts. (4 credits)
Content Strategy Career Path
The demand is growing for content strategy professionals.
We’ve seen a 32% increase in content marketing jobs since 2018, and salaries have increased nearly 20% since 2019. Last year, the average content marketer’s salary was $86,333.
Content strategy is used universally across all industry sectors, in companies large and small, so employment opportunities are plentiful. Tech, finance, health care, and retail are the top industries with the highest volume of job openings.
These are some of the job titles you might find on the content strategy career path:
- Content Manager/Director
- Content Creator/Writer/Producer
- Content Strategy Specialist
- Social Media Content Manager/Director
- SEO/PPC Specialist
- Web Content Producer/Manager
Source: Conductor Salary Guide, 2021
What Our Students Say About Emerson
We believe in the power of storytelling. These students share their stories about Emerson College—including ease of enrollment, career impact, and newfound confidence to thrive in their roles. What will be your story?
The enrollment was all completely online, I definitely had some questions; One was: “How do I make sure financing is in order?” Emerson was able to guide me through that process. Everything went so smoothly and that was really great.
Now over a year and a half later, I've received an incredible opportunity as the digital operations manager for an e-commerce skincare company. The knowledge I have gained and the connections I have made in the program are truly priceless.
When I looked at Emerson's classes, each one showed me that I would learn something new that I could use in my career.
I’m learning things that I use in my career daily. The way that I've thought about marketing has evolved through this program.
I truly believe that what I learned in this program will help me make a very large impact at the company, I work for and beyond and in my future endeavors as a small business owner.
It has also given me a newly found confidence, inspiration and excitement... It has allowed me to expand the way that I think and contribute to my teams.
Thanks to my admissions counselor and student success advisor, the enrollment experience was simple and informative. I was really nervous to begin because I haven't been in school in a really long time.